CCLC tutors and volunteers are the backbone of the organization. We are always looking for new tutors to meet the literacy needs of Charles County. The great thing about being a Literacy tutor is, if you can read, you can become a tutor! If you would like to become a tutor you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Attend and successfully complete the 6 ½ hour tutor training workshop and the 3-4 hour pre-online mandatory ‘homework.’
- Have the desire to help someone you’ve never met.
- Be fluent in English.
- Possess enthusiasm, dedication, flexibility, cultural sensitivity and patience.
- Be reliable and punctual.
- Make a one-year commitment to tutor and/or volunteer, if possible.
- Be able to meet with your adult learner for one – two hours at least once a week on a regular basis.
- Prepare a basic lesson plan for each tutoring session.
- Hold tutoring sessions in a mutually-convenient public location (recommendations for tutoring locations will be provided).
- Provide a monthly progress report of your tutoring and/or volunteer activities via the CCLC website.
- Address all concerns about your tutoring and/or volunteer activities to the CCLC Program Coordinator or President.
- Keep all student information confidential.
Tutor training workshops are held three-four times a year. They are held on a Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3:30 pm with mandatory pre-online ‘homework’ to be done beforehand. Pre-registration is required. There is a $30.00 workshop fee that helps defray the cost of all training materials (we can offer a ‘workshop scholarship’ if needed). A lunch and refreshments will be provided.
If you are interested in becoming a tutor, please CONTACT US.